Sunday, June 30, 2013

AF Hemingway Signature Sun Grown - Review # 1,159

Review Date: 06-29-13
Review Time: 7:35 AM
Review Setting: Front warm humid overcast morning. Looking out over my lawn I see in the tall grass small men with blowguns hunting for squirrels and rabbits. The rains continue to stymie my efforts to cut back this jungle.
2.7 years old; Medium Body; $9.50
Rating out 5 of 5  
Ecuadorian Sun Grown Wrapper; Dominican Binder & Filler
Construction: This is the poster child of a toothy wrapper… very rough, lumpy, dark, and oily.
Size: 6 x 47 Perfecto
Pre-light aroma was Molasses
Pre-light draw was Molasses and Wood
Drink - Coffee with a splash of agave.
1/3 - Great to Excellent - Sweet and tangy wood flavors with a little pepper on the draw. It leaves just a hint of bitterness on the lips.  Awesome rounded sweet wood and coffee RH.  Perfect draw & sweet paper aroma.  Crooked burn with solid white ash. Touch ups required.
2/3 - Excellent to Phenomenal - Great tangy molasses flavors on the draw.  Super creamy RH.  Fantastic aroma.  The burn continues it's wayward ways - C'est le fume!  Ash almost 3 inches long now.
3/3 - Excellent to Great - Tangy wood flavors with a lingering sweetness on the draw.  Sweet tangy and peppery RH.
This is reportedly a medium bodied smoke but once again in my emaciated condition I find it very strong.  I am happy to lose the weight, but not too happy to always be knocked out by one of my favorite past times.  My collection of full-bodied Churchills, Toros, Corona Gordos, etc. continues to age as I search for smaller milder sticks. I had to put this one down with an inch an inch and a half to go.
Tangy sweet wood finish
Hard band removal
Buy Again? Now hold it... I know the answer to this question.. Uhh okay.
Future Aging?  In 2003, the Fuente Family released this special cigar...Hemingway's with a Ecuadorian Sun Grown Wrapper. Very limited production.  I have nine Classics and six Signatures remaining all of which are aged.
Smoke Time: 1 1/2 hours
Happy Smoking
Don Ricardo

Draw issues continue – I have started my dry box routine. Cut a Warlock Corona, but after lighting determined it was too firm on the draw to enjoy the smoke. Then I cut a Partagas Cuban and determined on the cold draw it was to firm as well. So into the box they go…

No comments:

Post a Comment