Sunday, January 20, 2013

Review # 997 - Don Tomas Classico Maduro


3.3 years old; Full Body; $3; Rating 2.8 out of 5. 
A whopping .3 improvement from the last one I smoked in March 2012.
Connecticut Maduro Wrapper & Binder; Honduran y Nicaraguan Filler
Rough Lumpy Construction
Pre-light aroma was Hay
Pre-light draw was Hay
Drink - Coffee
1/3 - Fair - Mostly bitter with some pepper.  Bittersweet chocolate spicy RH - a tad harsh on back of throat.  Pepper aroma with good draw. Uneven rolled over burn requires touch ups.  Beautiful long white ash.
2/3 - Fair - Unfortunately no real improvements in the flavor department. Once and a while some hint of sweetness will creep in, but nothing to write home about.
3/3 - Fair to Sub-par - A Bitter Biter - now stinging my tongue while accosting my palate.  The RH is the only place where some semblance of sweet Maduro flavors try in vain to improve the experience. So why do I keep smoking this stick?  Why not squash it's leaves violently into the dust?  Hope sometimes is a strange bedfellow.  I keep hoping for improvements in flavor that don't materialize. But that is my nature. Reminds me of the line from the movie Van Helsing. When Dracula asks Igor why he keeps torturing the werewolf Igor replies "It's what I do."
Bitter cigar ashtray finish - yummy!
Easy band removal
Buy Again? Don't think so.  I have had other one's that were good before, but now two duds in a row. Not sure if my taste buds have changed over time. I used to be a much bigger fan of Maduro's - now not so much.  C'est La Guerre.
Future Aging? 2 more
Smoke Time 1 hr.
Another beautiful January morning with a warm sun and a cold breeze.
Happy Smoking
Don Ricardo

No comments:

Post a Comment